Today, Nate asked if he could play the wii while Jason slept. I told him he could and then sat down beside him for a minute to help him out. He wanted to play Donkey Kong. It hasn't been easy for him to figure out, but he's getting it. Anyway, as I sat there, the music reminded me of the days that Jake used to play the game. He'd come home from preschool and then kindergarten and play for a little while until Carson got home and then they'd go out to play. I was pregnant with Sam and had pretty bad headaches almost every day. I'd go in for a nap when Allie napped and I could hear the music from Donkey Kong in my dreams. I smiled at the memory. Then, I realized that Allie and Jake were Jason and Nate's ages right now when I was pregnant with Sam. They are both a few months younger, but still really close. I am totally blown away at the thought. I thought Allie and Jake were so much older when we were going through all that Sam stuff. It seemed like they understood things on a different level than these little boys are capable of. I remember having long talks with both of them about Sam and his little heart. Allie in particular seemed way older than Jason. She was such a huge help to me and my emotional state at the time and it's hard to believe she was only just turning 3. I remember having real conversations with her. Jason and I are no where close to having a real conversation...unless it's about things that poop, and where monsters live.
It makes me think of the tender mercies of the Lord and the timing of everything in my life. I would never have wanted to have a child die, but if it had to happen to me, I'm so glad that I had Allie and Jake to help me through it. Then for Jason and Nate to come and bring me even more joy. By then, I had learned so much about what really matters. I don't think I would be as patient with the craziness that has accompanied these boys if I hadn't had Sam first. These two littles are wild and crazy. They just came that way. I'm not saying that I am the most patient and loving mother out there...in fact, I have much I need to improve. But, if Jason and Nate had come before Sam, I think I'd be out of my mind...and "mean mom" would come out a lot more than she does now. Instead, I have the new perspective of what really matters and I try to be more patient than I used to be. Even as I type this, I have guilt that I am not good enough, but how could I be a mom without guilt...I don't think such a woman exists.
I am rambling. I guess I just wanted to say that I am so grateful that things played out the way they did. Heavenly Father can see the big picture and can see things in a way that I can't see with my mortal eyes. I am so grateful for each one of my kids and as Mother's Day comes up, it makes me want to re-evaluate myself and better myself as a mother. I hope I can be the mom that these kids need. I hope Heavenly Father can continue to mold me and help me to be a better person. I am so thankful for the role that each one of my kids play in making me a better person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful post!!! Love you
Post a Comment