Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Harry Potter and the Laundry Pile


I know that some of you know that I am a total Harry Potter nerd. It's almost embarrassing to admit it, but I like the books so much that why should I be embarrassed?

Anyway, I usually read the books again in the summer (when I say "read" I really mean listen to them on my ipod which is actually really fun because Jim Dale is the best reader ever). That means that I have heard or read the first three books at least 10 times, because I re-read them before each of the next books releases.

This summer I had been in a little bit of a book slump. There was so much on my mind that I couldn't concentrate on anything new. You can't really know why that is so terrible until you understand what I do while I listen to books.

I do housework while listening to books. It is mostly important for folding laundry. I have trained myself to only fold laundry while listening to a book. So, when you think that I haven't had a book to listen to since we found out about Sam (the longest month ago ever), you can imagine the pile of laundry that has accumulated. My Mom saw it and I know she was surprised. You can't imagine 4 people could have so many clothes. (It also included towels and sheets). I have no problem sorting and washing the laundry. The problem only comes in folding.

Back to the point of the post. I love Harry Potter. I was in such a slump that I was worried to start my summer of listening to all the books consecutively. I was worried that my sadness might bleed into tainting Harry Potter books for me, and next summer I would remember those feelings as I listened to Jim Dale and his many voices.

As the laundry piled up, and the toys in the toy room became increasingly mixed up, I decided that tainted or not, I had to get something done.

I started the first book last week. I have listened to that book so many times that if you started a sentence in that book, I can finish it. But there I was, smiling, and even chuckling out loud while my laundry pile shrunk. I don't care what book it is, no book can top those first few chapters of The Sorcerers Stone for me.

I know there are many Harry Potter critics out there. I'm not saying that the books are for everyone. I'm not even saying that every kid should read them because they definitely get scary for kids as the series goes on. All I am saying is that I really like the books. I really like that we don't have to go downstairs and rifle through a ceiling high pile of clothes to get dressed every day. It's nice to have the clothes upstairs in drawers where they belong. And for that, I can thank J.K. Rowling.

6 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

I love your posts. Good job digging into your harry potter books again.

Jen said...

Funny I am loading them back on to my ipod as well. I can't wait for movie six! Well yes I can because I don't want to wish my months away. I am with you go HP!

jeri said...

I am reading the series over again as well. But don't tell my book club. I'm supposed to be reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Nancy said...

I've never enjoyed Harry Potter... or reading for that matter. I did get sucked into the Twilight series but I'm not a person who reads a book twice so I don't plan to go back there. Anyway, you are inspiring... I actually had THOUGHTS of MAYBE downloading a book and listening to it because my laundry pile is out of control. I don't even have an excuse... I'm just lazy. I'd rather crochet or something.

Jill said...

I do the same thing... reading the Harry Potter books over and over in the summer in order! I am glad you are finding joy in them still!

Amanda said...

Great idea to listen to books while you do laundry. Maybe I should try that. I haven't read Harry Potter yet. I still plan to one of these days. One thing I might suggest...stop folding your laundry. I sort the clothes and then throw them into the drawers. The kids have never minded and the clothes are so small they don't get wrinkled in their drawers. It saves tons of time. The only thing I fold is towels. I hang my clothes up on hangers. So very little folding...it's great. I highly recommend it.