Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mess maker

My friend Allie makes such a mess when she is eating. It's not that she won't eat. She eats all kinds of things that Jake wouldn't dream of eating. She just really enjoys texture. She likes to play with her food. She always has. She calls it "making a brew".
She sure is a cute and funny girl. I used to get pretty exasperated with her at meal times. It doesn’t seem like she can eat a meal without playing texture games. Today at lunch we had applesauce and peanut butter sandwiches. It wasn’t long before she had a handful of applesauce and was rubbing it into her hands and arms like lotion. Then she coated the sandwich in the applesauce. I used to try and make her stop. After every single day asking her 3 times a day not to play with her food...I gave up. Now I just try to accept that she likes to mix her foods, and in the process she is bound to make a mess.
She always eats her gross concoctions, even if it is a mix of things that make me want to hurl (mac and cheese with peaches). Or, like dinner a few nights ago...baked potatoes, yogurt, string cheese, and chicken. It was all in the yogurt cup and gone before I could really complain.

I have often thought an outdoor shower would be nice. I have also thought about installing a disposal in the kids bath tub. (Remember when Kramer did that on Seinfeld?) She usually goes straight from the dinner table to the tub. She sure cleans up nice! I also wonder if it is any indication of her future career path. She could be an artist (finger painting or a sculpter), she could be chef who makes odd combinations of food that turn out amazing, or she could be a Mom and end up with a beautiful daughter who loves to play with her own food. Then she could discover a great way to clean it up.

2 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

She sure is cute. i have wittnessed the messes she makes. I love my allie girl!

Bethany said...

Hi Sue!
I just wanted to check up on you and see how you and your family are doing. Email me and let me know things are!
Love,
Bethany (Emma Kate's mom)