Saturday, July 5, 2014

The '52

I know I have blogged about Mike's old car before, but here's another post about the beast. Mike got it a few years before we got married. It used to be Merlin Olsen's car and it even had some of his stuff in the trunk when he bought it. Mike fixed it up a bit when he first bought it, but didn't do anything with the engine and he always wanted to. He was embarrassed at the sound of the straight 6 and wanted something more manly. I grew up with a dad who loved old cars and loved to collect them...hundreds of them. But none of them started up when you wanted to go for a spin, so I didn't think having a "manly" sounding engine was necessary. I just thought it was cool that it would start up each time we wanted to go somewhere.

Well, last summer, the reliable old beast became unreliable.  Mike's dad gave him an engine and he went about getting the parts to make the old beast into a manly sounding car.







I'll be honest, I wasn't entirely on board with the engine overhaul, so I don't know much about it all.  I didn't listen very well as Mike told me all the cool things that now reside under the hood.  Mike thinks that because my dad was a car guy, I should care more about it all, but I just don't.  I like the car and I'm happy that he is happy, but I just don't appreciate the manly roar as much as Mike would like.
Is it dorky that the thing I like best is knowing that when we take our cute family for a ride out west of town, I can be pretty sure that we are going to make it back home?



On a side note, this is the old car on the day that Mike and I got engaged.  It was July 4th 2001 and we were at Tony Grove Lake.  I'm a lucky girl.




No comments: