Tuesday, July 28, 2015

School Stuff

I'm pretty late in posting this.
Jake was in a Utah program where they sang songs about the state and recited facts about Utah History.  It was pretty fun to watch them.  Jake had a speaking part "because the people were industrious, Utah soon became the agricultural and manufacturing center in the West."  I was so nervous for him, but I didn't need to be...he did a great job.  He spoke loud and clear and didn't make any mistakes.  What a good boy.


I got a picture of him with his teacher Mr. Simpson.  He was an awesome teacher for Jake.  Jake loved him and I was really grateful that he liked my boy and thought he was a good kid.  It's always nice to know your kid has someone on their side who thinks they are awesome.  He understood Jake's personality and helped him out when he was having a hard time.  I am so grateful for good teachers.  We'll miss Mr. Simpson for sure.
Jake also got to rock the halls one last time for the year.  He ended the year with around 550 AR points and got a 5 dollar gift card for Walmart for it.  He was 3rd in the whole fourth grade.  I am so glad this boy likes to read!  He really liked the Percy Jackson books this school  year and read all of them.  He's reading the Land of Stories right now and likes them too.

Nate has been a good side kick to go to all the rock the halls events.  Jason is usually home sleeping (with Mike working in the office), so we go together.


While we were there for Jake, I took a picture of Allie in her classroom.


Allie loved Miss Hellstern and is sad to leave her.  She was also a great teacher for my girl and made her year as good as it could be.


They started writing an opera during the school year and made all their own scenery and costumes.  Allie was a beach surfer and sang up there with a smile on her face.

We heard all about the opera for many months and it was fun to see their cute little opera after all that hard work.

Allie ended the year with almost 200 AR points and got second place in the second grade, so she got a 5 dollar gift card too.  She still loves A to Z Mysteries and reads them over and over.  I'm always telling her to read something new because you can only take tests on things once, so she reads way more than she can test on, but she likes to re-visit the books she knows.  Sometimes the unknown endings of a book scare her and make her want to stick with the safe and known stories.  I get that.  I love that the stories are so real to her that it can be intense sometimes.  She did read the Ramona books this summer and liked all of those.  She's listening to Harry Potter again too at night in her room.  Yay for audiobooks!

The kids ended the school year with their brains full of new stuff and smiles on their faces.  I am proud of them and their accomplishments.  They are good kids.

No comments: