Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Niagra Falls and Pittsburgh

We were close enough to Niagara Falls to make the drive, so we loaded up in the morning and drove over there.  Once again, our drive was filled with beautiful fall colors at every turn, pretty farm houses, and quaint little towns.  We had great music in the car, and that lead to great conversation.  We had so much fun remembering and discussing our different perspectives on things as we met, dated, and married each other.  We really do enjoy being around each other and it's so great being with him without the disruptions that the kids bring.  Not that we don't love them, just that it was fun being just us for a week.
Anyway, we pulled into the American side of Niagara and checked out the view into Canada.



We got tickets to ride the Maid of the Mist, and enjoyed that view and the fun little boat ride.

This is the American side of the falls.


Then, the Canada side.




After the boat ride, we walked around a bit and took pictures.  It really is majestic.








We got back on the road and headed for Pittsburgh.
Now that I am home, I am realizing how few pictures I took of the countryside.  I guess when you are driving, it isn't high on the priority list.  But, when I wasn't driving, I poked my camera out the window a few times.
Everyone out there said that the fall foliage was muted this year.  Sort of a bummer, but it was still really pretty.  It was interesting how some of the places still had green leaves, while others had already turned and fallen.  I loved the huge variety of hard wood trees.  Mike could identify them all (the former wood shop teacher in him).  Both of us commented all the time about how neat people kept their farms.  We are used to some of the broken down and trashy places you see near us and in Star Valley.  I know that's a generalization, but we didn't see one place that wasn't orderly.  Maybe they know they are on display for all the tourists coming to see their beautiful countryside.  :)


Mike was so excited to pull into Pittsburgh.  He was driving and he could hardly contain himself.
We drove by the stadium and checked out all the amazing steel bridges.  Then, we found a parking spot right on the side of the road and went on a walk to check out the shops and buy some shirts.  We spent an hour or so checking things out and then decided we needed to go back to the car to feed the meter.  When we walked up to the car, it was getting darker and I could see that the interior lights were on.  As I got closer, I could hear the hum of the engine.  Mike had never turned the car off!  It had one of those push button starters, and in his excitement, he had just hopped out of the car and walked away.  He had the keys in his pocket, but there was our car, engine running, doors unlocked, camera, purse, luggage, everything...right in downtown Pittsburgh.  I am going to tell that story and love it for years and years.  I love it because I love what it says about Mike.  He was so excited to be in Steeler's territory that he couldn't be bothered with the details of a rental car.  I love that he could have that joy and that I could be there to see it.


That evening, we went on the incline and rode it to the top to see the city view.  Pittsburgh has 446 bridges and is known as the city of bridges.  We didn't see very many of those bridges, but the ones that we saw were awesome. 



It was a great day and one for the books.  Life is good.

No comments: