I can't remember when I went to the first tree burning in the neighborhood, but I am pretty sure I went alone. I left a house full of a sleeping Mike and kids and walked over to the Dunkley's to watch them light Christmas trees on fire.
I used to drag our tree over, but after many years of all the trees burning but ours, I finally quit bringing it. Fresh cut Star Valley trees don't have time to die before New Year's Eve.
The Dunkley's are moving soon and I wasn't sure if there would be a tree burning this year, but the last few years, the Cleggs have been lighting trees in their back yard, so I sort of hoped there would be a fire somewhere.
I didn't water our tree at all this year in preparation.
The older kids went to parties and even Jason and Nate were invited down to Finn's house this year. Things were really quiet for me and Mike.
I sorted Lego as we watched a movie and soon enough, it was time for the fire.
The boys came home just in time to carry the tree over.
People were gathering in the common area, so that might be the new spot.
It seems weird to usher in a new year without being in the Dunkley's back yard, seeing Heidi freezing on her porch. It seems weird to usher in a new year without her in it.
It seems weird to think that this year will probably end with Jake living in another place, serving a mission.
It seems weird to think that I have spent 23 years knowing Mike and watching our family grow.
It's such a good life and I am so grateful for each year.
I look forward to the new events of 2023. I'm sure it'll be great.
No comments:
Post a Comment