Monday, October 16, 2023

The True Meaning of Misery

 Dude I don't even know where to start here. These last few days have been the most insane days of my life without question. I guess to start, we left the MTC at 2 in the morning for the airport and arrived in Cebu at 7:30. At this point I had really started to get sick and I was running a fever with chills and a pretty nasty cough for a couple days at that point, and I felt pretty crappy, but I was still excited to get out to the field. We met at the mission president's house which was crazy nice, and we were told where we were going to serve. I wanted to go to the countryside so bad, but I guess Heavenly Father had different plans because the mission president said "have you ever been to a concrete jungle before?" That's when i found out i was getting sent to the Mandaue 1st area. Mandaue is literally the most people dense area in the Philippines. But I was still excited to go there. It was then that the mission doctors checked on me and decided that they wanted to test me for pneumonia since my breathing didn't sound good. So I got to spend the first six hours of first day in the hospital. So by the time I reached the mission field I was sick, sleepy, and coughing like crazy. Then I was treated to the state of our apartment. It was dim, smelly, small, and the water only works for a couple hours every day. If you want some water for a bucket shower it's a dice roll on whether or not you will get it. Plus the roof is leaking water near constantly, the bathrooms aren't fit for humans to go near, and worst of all is the near constant sweltering heat. My first night I couldn't sleep because of the heat and the constant coughing, and there was a song by maroon 5 that was playing in my head called misery. Here are some of the lyrics. "I am in misery, and there ain't nobody who can comfort me. Why wont you answer me? the silence is slowly killing me" I was praying for a long time for comfort and assistance through this trial, and I was almost getting angry at God for making me recover from sickness in this dump while I gave him two years of my life. It was then that I realized that these experiences are going to help me grow as a servant of God, and that I just needed to trust in the Lords timing. Then the next day I had the chance to baptize two converts that the sisters helped. It was almost the Lord saying directly to me that He knows I'm uncomfortable, and that He knows I'm tired and sick, But He will use these trials to shape me into a stronger man and missionary. So now whenever I think about that song when I'm miserable, I'll change the lyrics, " I am in misery, and there is somebody who can comfort me, I trust that You will answer me, but the silence is slowly killing me" 

I'm sorry for the longer email. I usually keep things shorter, but this one was a bit different. Anyway I'm missing you all. Don't do anything too fun without me.

No comments: