Sunday, July 6, 2008

Our first time camping!

We had a really busy week last week. That's why I have tons of stuff to write about. It all started last Friday. We were eating dinner, and I said that I was excited for girl's camp because I love to be outside sitting at a fire, and being a little chilly. Mike said that we should take the kids camping, and it all just came together. We live in the lower part of the canyon, so it only took 15 minutes to get up to a place to camp. We had the tent pitched and a fire blazing an hour after we decided to go.



We took a short hike. Mike introduced the kids to these...




When we were dating, Mike told me to blow on one and make a wish...then he crammed it in my mouth. He didn't do that to the kids, but he didn't have to. Allie inhaled before every blow and ended up eating lots of seeds.




We found a slower part of the river and tossed rocks. I didn't bring mosquito repelent and was a little annoyed by all the bites. Jake and I must have the same sweet blood because they were after us, but passed by Mike and Allie. Jake stayed up scratching that night.



We discovered that none of us like s'mores. We like to eat the ingredients separately, but not together. So we just let Jake burn a few marshmallows.

The tent was the perfect size for our family. Is is still camping if you watch a DVD in the tent? We thought the kids would fall asleep to a movie, but the battery died and they were still awake...it was a long night.



We woke up in the morning and drove back home. It was really fun, and the best part was how easy it was to pick up and go. Now that the kids are getting a little older, we will have to do it more often. We didn't spend much time up there, but we did get a little bored...if any of you want to come up with us next time it would be more fun.

2 comments:

Berly said...

Looks like fun to me!! Warren and I are trying to find a spare weekend to go and do that. The girls love it!!

Tara Schwab said...

For some reason it just doesn't surprise me that Mike shoved the dandelion in your face. Hmm. Wierd.
Love the picture of Allie getting dandelion fluff in her mouth.
Yes, it's still camping with a DVD player. Just easier.
Let's take the kids together sometime. Looks kinda fun.