Friday, February 27, 2009

The Girl Is Using the Potty!!!


Allie has shown interest in wearing underwear over the last few months, but no interest in using the bathroom. She has collected the things...Tinkerbell underwear, the prizes that she can earn, the knowledge that she can be a "big girl". But she had no desire to actually follow through with the whole sitting on the potty thing. She would say that she would pee in the potty if she had Tinkerbell underwear instead of just princess underwear. Or that she would use the potty if it were pink...(yes, they do make pink potties, but I wasn't about to spend the 20 dollars on one when we had a perfectly fine blue and green little potty.)

So, even though countless others were potty training around us, we were still going through diapers. Well, I must admit, I wasn't allowing her to go through as many diapers as she wanted. She requested a new diaper every time she peed. How is that going to teach her anything? I'll decide when she's going to get a new diaper. If it is visibly sagging below the knees or threatening to spill out onto the carpet or couch she can have a new one. I am pretty lenient on poops though. I'll change those right away so she doesn't stink up the house.

Anyway, back to the story...

On Thursday, she was running around in one of those sagging 40 pound diapers and I looked at her and felt like I was raising a white trash girl. Her hair was a mess and lets face it...a 2 and a half year old girl running around in nothing but a heavy diaper and ratty hair can lower anyone's property value. I said "Allie, you are looking too old to be running around in diapers." She said "I go get Tink abell?" I said "sure, but you can't pee on her" and that was all she wrote. We have had 2 accidents and she had to have the pink potty after all so Daddy let her have at the blue potty with pink markers. (more WT)

I have to admit, I wasn't in the mood for potty training and I have little patience for her when I know she has to go and she won't, but it has been surprisingly easy. It has been surprisingly cheap too. Jake took so long and was so reluctant that when he finally used the potty he earned a monster truck...then expected one each time after that. Allie is totally happy with chocolate and a sticker for her chart. I'm cool with that.

Anyway, way to go Allie! And just so you know, if she is at your house and says that the "Boopas" are bugging her bum...she has to do a number 2.

1 comment:

lori parkhurst said...

I am so proud of her! That is awesome! Way to go Allie!