Monday, November 16, 2009

Call me Mommy

I love the movie RocketMan. It came out in 1997 and had Harland Williams in it. A couple weeks ago, we had an experience that reminded me of the movie and I wanted to write about it. Not many people have seen the movie, so when I tell my story they look at me blankly and don't get it. So, before I told all of you the story, I looked on Youtube to see if they had the clip that has been running through my head. Of course, I didn't find it. But I did find this one...it makes me laugh out loud, so I'll share it. If you don't like "bathroom humor" as my Mom would call it, then just don't watch. I'll continue my story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOrT0X8i8zI

Last month Jake and Carson were playing in the river bed, and I was in a neighbor's back yard with Allie and a few of my friends. I heard screams, but I couldn't identify the screamer. I started to casually walk toward the screams in case it was a fight that we needed to break up. Then I heard "Jake is trapped under a rock!" and my heart sunk down into my gut.

I guess Jake was climbing down the rocky river bed and a boulder came loose and trapped him under it. When I saw him, the rock was over the bottom half of his body. As I tried to get to him, I was imagining crushed limbs, hours of reconstructive surgery or amputation. I know that sounds pretty dramatic, but it was a big rock and I couldn't imagine a scenario where it wouldn't end badly. There were two other women close by and we all got there to the rock and tried to lift it off of him. It wouldn't budge. Someone else had run for Mike. I was screaming in panic, Jake was screaming in pain, and I couldn't even reason. No one better count on me to be calm in an emergency.
My neighbor Rhonda was calm and she was trying to get us to unify our efforts and lift on the count of 3. Heidi was yelling "where is our Mom adrenaline?" and I was just freaking out. That's where the Rocket Man story comes in. The Commander got stuck under the Mars rover and when Randall came to help him out he says something about how moms can lift 3 times the weight they normally could to save their children. So he tells the commander to "call me Mommy!" Well, it wasn't working for me. I wanted the extra mommy strength, but it just wasn't coming.
When it finally occurred to us that we were going to have to wait for help, Heidi said "shouldn't you calm Jake down?" so I tried to quit cursing and screaming long enough to calm him down. The poor neighbor boys that were looking on are never going to listen to me when I teach them not to use bad language. They got an ear full.
Jake wasn't easily calmed down but Mike got there and he was able to move the rock enough for me to pull him out.

We went home and gave him an inspection. You would not believe it. It's a total miracle, but he was fine. The only way to explain it is to say that it was a miracle. He didn't have even a bruise. His foot ended up being wedged in there pretty tight, but it was in loose gravel instead of being crushed between the two rocks.
It could have been so bad. He could have hit his head. He could have been trapped under the water. There are numerous things that could have made this terrible. We are so blessed.
Instead, we have our Jake and he is walking around as if it never happened. It was a miracle.
So, here are pictures.
This is the one that fell on him.


He was squished between these two. He was sitting on the one that he is standing on now and his legs were under the big one. Crazy huh.

It was a miracle.

So, that's the story. I know it happened a long time ago, but I wanted to write about it and it took me a long time to write because I wanted to include the Rocket Man sketch. Oh well, you'll just have to go watch the movie yourselves... "Call me Mommy!"

3 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

I am so glad he is okay! It really is a miracle!

The Bates Famdamily said...

HOLY COW! That is a huge ROCK!! That is such a miracle that he wasn't hurt. And rocket man made me laugh.

Tara Schwab said...

So glad Jake is ok. How scary. What a blessing he is perfectly fine.