Sunday, November 11, 2018

Future Bakers?

So, I had a RS activity on a Saturday morning and I came home to find these girls cleaning the kitchen.  They were rocking out to some tunes and there was a lovely buttery smell coming from the oven.  
They showed me the recipe they had made for chocolate chip cookies.  I praised them for cleaning up their mess.  They said they were unsure of the recipe though because the cookie dough was really crumbly.  I looked at the recipe and read "confectioner's sugar".  I asked what they had used and they said just regular sugar.  I said, "maybe that's what the problem was.  You should have used powdered sugar."  We all laughed and figured that must have been why things seemed a bit crumbly.  
A few minutes later, Allie peeked into the oven and said "it's all soupy in there!"  I looked, and sure enough, it looked like chocolate chips were swimming in boiling butter.  We talked things through and tried to figure out where they had gone wrong.  I asked how much butter they had put in, I asked how much flour, I asked all kinds of things and it was still such a mystery.
It really looked like they hadn't added any four at all.  I opened the cupboard and saw that the container that I use for flour was completely empty, so I asked them what they had used.  Allie pulled out the powdered sugar container...they had put 1 cup of white sugar and 2 cups of powdered sugar.  


After we pulled it from the oven and it cooled off, instead of cookies, they had a tray of buttery sugar with chocolate chips.




I think they are bound to be wonderful bakers.  What do you think?  Nate and I thought it tasted great!  If we had left it to boil longer, it might have been toffee.  Yum. 

No comments: