Friday, November 15, 2019

The Tale of a Pinstriped Suit Coat

Jake told me he needed a suit coat for an orchestra concert.  To be fair, he gave me 3-4 days notice.  I told him we had one in the basement that would be just fine.
The day of the concert, he told me he needed a black bow tie.  
I didn't have time to go searching for a black bow tie.
Luckily, we have a neighbor who used to be in orchestra and we asked if they had one kicking around.  They did.  Phew.
Anyway, the night of the concert, Jacob donned his dark pinstriped suit coat and told me it was supposed to be black.  I told him it was close enough to black, and sent him out the door.
When I dropped him off, I walked by the orchestra room and saw that every single person was in a pitch black suit.  All the girls were wearing black dresses.  I guess this is something that everyone knows.  When you're in a concert, you wear "concert black".  I had missed the memo.
I asked his teacher if his suit coat would be fine and he said "Eh...Yeah...he'll be fine.  But you think he'll be pursuing orchestra, you might want to invest in a black suit."  

I went to find a seat in the auditorium and I was embarrassed for Jake.  I worried that he would totally stand out in his dark gray pinstriped suit coat.

When everyone came out, he looked like he fit right in though.  I breathed a sigh of relief and enjoyed the beautiful music.
It was a lovely concert.

We may be investing in a black suit coat though...

No comments: