Sunday, August 27, 2023

Happy Birthday! (And a 2 year life change for Jake)

Happy birthday to Mike!  52.  Allie thought it was cool that he was 52 and his car is a '52 Chevy so she wanted to decorate the cake.  She did a good job with it even if I don't have a real picture.  She made a 52 out of m&m's.  It was delicious.



 It think it was a good day for Mike.  It was Stake Conference, and we had a meeting super early in the morning, so we went together in the Bronco.  It's always a fun ride with the top off.

The meeting wasn't bad at all and the talks were pretty good. 
We came home and had some breakfast.

Allie and I had a meeting at noon so we were there when we got the text that they wanted to set Jake apart at 1.  We left the meeting early and got home to be ready for it.  The Stake President came over and we talked a bit and then he and Mike laid their hands on Jake, gave him a blessing, and the next thing you know, we have a missionary.  So crazy.  Allie and I talked about how weird it is that with just a few words, your whole life can change.
Speaking of the prayer where Jake's life changed...seconds after the "amen", Nate pulled out a molar.  He had been wiggling it through the prayer and it popped out just after it was over.  I guess that tooth was ready to come out and it was a bit of a comic relief too.  






After things quieted down again and we said goodbye to the Stake President, Jake cleared off his phone and turned it off for the last time.  
Then we went up the canyon and had a little walk.  
Jake doesn't get a name tag until he gets to the MTC in the Philippines so Mike got out his old name tag and had him put that on.








The boys were going a bit wild and decided they needed to take a dip in the river.


The dip turned into a swim.








...and a flexing contest...
                                       
                                                   
I had to laugh at Jason because he flexes like my dad.  I'll have to look for a picture, but my dad could suck his gut way in and flex until he looked pretty buff.  :)



I don't have any pics of Charlie or Allie, but both were there too.  Charlie was doing his best to muddy up his paws so he could ensure an uncomfortable ride home.
It started raining on us as we drove home in the Bronco.  We got to see a beautiful sunset though and we were all very happy to be together.
I think Mike had a great birthday.  Not too many times does it happen that you get to help set your son apart as a missionary on your birthday.  Tomorrow will come fast...we'll cherish one more night as a family at home.

No comments: