Sunday, September 3, 2023

Tender Mercy

 We've been a bit sad this week, but for the most part, we're doing ok.  But today was fast and testimony meeting at church and the first person to walk up and bear testimony was a visitor.  He was from California and he and his wife were visiting Chris and Carol Johnson who have been missionaries this last year in LA.  He started out by thanking us (as their ward family) for letting his ward have them for the last little while.  He talked about how hard they worked and how great they were to have around.  So, that was all cool to hear about people that I love and respect.  Then, he talked about the other reason he came to Utah, and that was to visit his Utah mom.  He's from the Philippines and was converted and a couple that was there serving a mission took him under their wing and loved him.  When he was old enough to go on a mission and wanted to go, the Utah mom paid for his mission.  He went on to talk about how his life was blessed by having the Gospel in it and how grateful he was for his Utah mom.  

I sat there and bawled.  I thought of how sad I was to see Jake walk away for 2 years, but how one day, he might meet a kid like this and teach him and help him find his way to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and change his life forever.  Who am I to want to keep him here instead of sending him out the door to do that?  So, I got up and bore testimony of that and talked about how grateful I was to know that the things I am making a sacrifice for are true, and worth it.

We got to talk with Brother Jun and Sister Arlene (no one knows how to pronounce their full names so they shorten them to that) after church.  They talked about how much the Filipino people love missionaries and how much Jake will love it.  They talked of how much the church has grown.  There are going to be 6 temples there.  When he was wanting to go through the temple, the saints had to travel to Tokyo and no one could afford it.  So, now this is easier for them and much more possible to do.  

I love that Jake gets to be there to watch the growth and bring happiness to their lives.  It's all a good thing.  Even if I will still miss my boy daily.


  

No comments: