Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Did you know...

you can bottle butter?

I got a pretty cool food storage book from my Mom last year, and it has all kinds of things I have been wanting to try out. Bottling butter was one of them. Mike thought it was a ridiculous concept...

Mike: "What would you need bottled butter for when you could put it in the fridge?"

Me: "What if the power goes out and we can't use a fridge"

Mike: "Wouldn't we rather have jam and fruit? I could live without butter."
Me: "Uh...I'm just going to bottle butter okay?"

So, I did.






You put a bunch of butter in a pan and melt it. Then you add it to pint jars that are warmed to 200 degrees. Put on a lid and wait for it to pop (letting you know it is sealed).

You have to shake it every 10 minutes as it solidifies, but that was no big deal because I sat at the computer and played "Smoothie Moves" to earn Allie Kinzcash. To any of you who have a Webkinz, you'll know what I am talking about. And those of you without Webkinz, don't get one...you'll be addicted to the stupid games and turn into a miser about getting Kinzcash (money to buy your pet food, furniture, and anything under the sun).

Anyway, now I have some surprisingly pretty jars of butter to sit on my shelf. Now if I can only quit worrying about having butter sitting on my shelf...it just seems wrong to not have it in the fridge.



6 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

those look beautiful. Maybe I should try it. I like the shape of those tiny pint jars!

Nancy said...

I didn't know it was possible to can butter. Wow, I'm so impressed with your "skills."

Kristin said...

Let me know how it turned out flavor and texture wise. It seems like if the bottling process doesn't change it too much you could add flavorings and give it out as gifts.

Sue said...

An after note...
The butter definately has a different texture (a little less fused together) but the same taste...not a bad experiment.

Berly said...

I had no idea. The idea of butter not in the fridge is kind of strange to me though.

Jill said...

That's cool! Love the little square jars. On a side note we also have a webkinz (Jade's)and I am also addicted to the dang games.