Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas at our House

I think I have been feeling overwhelmed about all the things that have happened lately that I haven't wanted to write any posts because I didn't know where to start. I guess I just have to start somewhere, so I will start with Christmas.


We had a great time. For the second year now, we had our own little Christmas at our own house. Mike grumbled a little at the necessity of a "manger scene" when it was just us. My Mom usually has all the grandkids act one out, and he assumed we would be doing it when we all got together next...but I stuck to my guns. Allie was the cutest little Mommy Mary to her baby Jesus, and Jake was a protective Joseph.











We talked about Jesus and how important it is that we remember Him at Christmas. I am always amazed at what they comprehend. They know that they are loved by our Heavenly Father and Jesus, and they love Them. I think if they can continue to grow with that awareness, they will be alright in the world.






We did the letters to Santa thing, and I was surprised that both kids remembered what they got last year and wanted to thank him. I couldn't even remember what Santa gave them last year...


On the list of a million things to do before Christmas, "make the kids stockings" was one of them. Christmas Eve came, and I still hadn't checked that off the list, so Mike picked up a few at the dollar store. Allie really stressed Jake out when she did this...


"Allie, stockings are for hanging up and getting treats from Santa. They don't go on your feet!"
I thought it was cute, so amidst Jake's tears, I took a picture.






They hung up their stockings, left some fudge and milk for Santa, and tried to go to sleep. I had kept them from napping that day so they would fall asleep fast...backfire. Allie was too wound up to fall asleep, and Jake must have come out ten times to ask for different things. On one of the trips he caught me eating Santa's fudge..."isn't that for Santa?" (in a sad and close to tearful voice) I explained that I was just having a chocolate craving and I would replace it with new fudge...


Santa did find our house though, and he must have loved the fudge because the kids got a haul. Allie's request was for a Pony (the My Little Pony kind thankfully, Mike isn't really a horse guy, and we don't have that much room in our back yard.) She got what she wanted, and I got what I wanted when she got a Fisher Price Dance and Twirl Castle. I don't know why, but I love Little People toys, and I get more joy out of them than the kids do.

Jake's request of an "arrow pointer shooter" was fulfilled when Santa brought him a helicopter that shoots darts. Wow, Santa really is smart to figure that out!

It's so fun to have kids at an age where they are completely happy with what comes to them at Christmas. I remember a year when I was young that poor Santa didn't get anything right. Jenny got a fake Cabbage Patch doll that she threw across the room (because it didn't have the signature on the bum), and the rest of us were sad about one thing or another. My poor Mom felt like she was raising a bunch of ingrates. Sorry Mom.

Jake and Allie were completely happy with their haul and have had fun playing with their toys all week. We had a great Christmas and hope you all did too!

2 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

I am still lauging about you eating santas fudge and Jake almost crying when he caught you.

Jill said...

I had to laugh at the stocking picture of Allie, Gemma did that too! much to Jade's dismay.