Monday, November 22, 2010

Apples

Last year we planted an apple tree. It grew three apples that first year and they were so yummy. This year, I fought off the deer who thought the tree tasted yummy and ate the branches to nubs. Each attack was sad, but the tree continued to grow. We watched the three new apples grow and grow. They were perfect and beautiful, and all that the tree had to offer this year. Then one day, they were gone. The deer had found our beautiful apples and chowed them. I was so sad! I know there will come a day when the tree has more apples than we could ever handle, but for now I am sad that the three we had went to some greedy gut deer.

Anyway, we loved the applesauce that we made last year, so I was in search of free apples this year. No one seemed to have a good crop so I thought we were out of luck. Then my neighbor Marlene offered up what was left on her tree and there were hundreds of apples. I picked what I thought we could use and we made applesauce.






Of course, apples are tastier when they are peeled and sliced in perfect little circles.


They wanted colored applesauce again but I made sure to make some that weren't colored. I use the applesauce in some of the breads I make and once when I gave some out, I had to explain the green tint to the bread.

I love getting these jars off the shelf though. The kids love to argue over what color we are going to eat and they are always asking for more. I like knowing they are getting straight apples...and best of all, it was free!