Saturday, November 17, 2012

Heavy lifting

One of the hardest things about c-section recovery is that I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting.  This kid right here is considered heavy lifting.

So when he throws a big fit in the parking lot, I look like a pushover mom.  I offer him treats to get up and move.  I beg him to be a "big boy" and follow mom.  I try to "reason" with an unreasonable kid instead of throwing him over my shoulder and marching off to my destination.  The throwing over the shoulder way is much more effective.  He'd be crying, but he'd also know who is boss.
Some of the other times where lifting comes in handy is getting him in and out of the highchair, lifting him up to the sink to wash his hands, and in and out of his crib. 
I am not about to give up the crib.  When Allie was Nate's age, she had mastered the crib escape, but luckily Nate is still trapped in those four barred walls for naps.  He's even happy about it.  So when Jason came along, I put a step ladder in his room.  He is generally good about climbing up the ladder to get into bed.  He'll bring a few books and toss them in and then go in himself.



Sometimes he decides that he isn't going in for a nap, but for the most part, he goes willingly.  Today, I found him playing in there on his own.  It was awesome.  I was worried because I hadn't seen him for a few minutes and the house was quiet.  I searched his usual haunts and then found him reading in his bed.  So much better than a mess somewhere!

Anyway, he takes a great nap and when he wakes up he calls out "Mom!  Dad!  Addie!  Out!"  I usually leave him in there to play until it is convenient to get him out.  But if I hear "Ewww!  Kuk!" or "stinky" then I go in quick.  That means there is poo.  Poo can't be left unattended with my friend Nate. 
So, when it's time to get out, I stick the tummy tub in there and he climbs right out.





Sometimes, rather than climb out, he becomes bucket head.  It's pretty cute.  He likes to walk around with this thing on and it makes all of us laugh to see him bumbling around with a bucket on his head.
Anyway, I just thought I'd show you the way we work around the heavy lifting thing.  There are times that I have had to pick him up, but for the most part we have found ways around it all.  I remember it being difficult when Jake was this age too.  It's hard for Nate to understand that I can't pick him right up when he gets hurt.  Instead, I take him by the hand and walk to where I can sit down and snuggle him.  But that's a long walk for him and it breaks my heart.  It will be nice when the 6 weeks are over and we can get back to our normal routine.

No comments: