Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Jake

I decided to give a little update on each of the kids.  I try to keep a journal for them, but haven't written in that for a while, so I'll do it now.
Jake is almost 9 now.  He's in flag football, piano, and cub scouts.  The times that he isn't at one of those activities, he is out playing with Carson.  They have a hut that they have been working on "for 2 years now".  They are digging out the hill little by little and find scraps of wood to add to it now and then.  They make jumps for their bikes and spend a lot of time creating their own entertainment.  Tonight he said, "I like moths, so I won't be throwing one of them in a spider's web."
I said, "you throw things into spider's webs?"
He said, "yeah.  Just things like box elder bugs and stuff."
I already knew that he loves to catch grass hoppers.  He knows a way to hold them that makes them immobile.  They are probably frozen in terror, so I always make him put them down if I catch him playing with one.  I guess it's just a boy thing.

It's fun to watch him play football.  He has pulled a few flags, but he is big so he spends most of the game blocking.  What's fun to see though, is the complete joy he has when his team scores a touchdown or if someone has a great run.  He is a team player for sure.
He still loves to read and I find him reading in his room when he was supposed to just run in there for a pair of socks before school. 
He can't focus on anything if there is a tv in the room.  So although he can power through breakfast and getting ready for school before Allie, if the tv is on, all that comes to an abrupt halt. 
He likes watching Wild Krats and has been watching a lot of football with Mike.
He is willing to eat any meal if there is a promise of a treat after.  He loves chocolate, brownies, or any dessert.
He walks in the door each day with the report that today was "awesome".  He is grateful for the lunches that I pack and tells me that I make good bread.  I guess that makes up for it when he sits and stares at his dinner for an hour and then dry heaves when he takes a bite.  There are very few dinners that make him happy.  Nachos, grilled cheese, or when we have breakfast for dinner are some of his favorites.
He has piano early in the morning on Tuesdays.  I made scrambled eggs for him once or twice when he got back from piano and then as I was chatting with his teacher once, she said "Jake tells me that you make the best scrambled eggs for him when he gets done with piano."  We laughed about it, but it is pretty set in stone now that he gets scrambled eggs on Tuesdays.

We were on the way to football once and we were late.  He said "we haven't ever been on time to football yet."
I was frustrated that we were late and said, "I know.  I'm sorry that we are always so late.  Maybe if you had a different mom you wouldn't be late every time." 
He said, "it's not you Mom.  It's all of us kids.  You are always trying to get us out the door, but there are just too many of us to be on time".
I had to laugh at that one for a long time.

Jake is a good kid and always tries to do what is right.  He forgives easily and I am grateful for that.  He is a good example for the others to follow.  I love that sweet boy of mine.


No comments: