Thursday, August 7, 2014

Little Harry Potlicker

You know how I love Harry Potter?  Well, my kids are fans now too and I couldn't be happier about it.
We started reading the first book together as soon as summer started and then we watched the movie.  It was fun for me to read the books after only listening to them all these years.  I can't believe how much I have tuned out as I have listened.  J.K. Rowling has such a clever way of writing things and has created so many fun words and a world that seems so possible.  I love to watch the kids smile as I read the funny lines of Fred and George, or the shock on their faces as they hear of the awful Dursleys.  Jake paced around the room as I read the ending of The Chamber of Secrets and Allie pretended not to be afraid when Voldemort showed up in the end of the first book.  We have loved it.
We are part of the way through the 3rd book now and it's my favorite.  I am excited to see how the kids like it too.  Jake has played the Lego Harry Potter game, so he knows a few of the spoilers and that makes me sad, but I guess I can't keep him from learning things from books that were published over 10 years ago.
This whole thing has just been fun though and I crack up when I hear Nate telling me things about Harry Potter.
Mike got me a wand from the theme park when he was there a few years ago and the kids walk around the house with it trying to do magic.  I love to see Nate walking around the house shouting "expelliarmus!"
Then, the other day, Jake was bugging Allie and she had finally had enough.  She yelled "ten points from Grifindor!" and I just about died laughing.
You can call us nerds, but there are a lot of nerds who love Harry Potter out there, so we aren't alone.  I love that we are reading the books, but really it is that I love that we are reading together.  I love when the kids beg for just a few more pages.  I love that Nate falls asleep snuggling with us each night on the bed.  I am so bummed that life gets so busy in the school year that we don't do this.  I love this time with the kids.  I think that's what I will miss most about summer.  But for now, we still have a little more than half of a book to read and kids that love the magical world of Hogwarts as much as me...so we will read.

  

No comments: