Friday, March 13, 2020

Coronavirus...

We got an Alexa show for Christmas from my little brother and it has top news headlines on it each day.  We've read news stories about the Coronavirus (Covid 19) that showed up in China at the end of last year.  The kids were reading those news headlines out and asking me about the virus.  I always told them not to worry.  When I got the flu last month and was knocked flat for a little while, Allie was worried that it was coronavirus.  I tried to downplay everything because I didn't want the kids worrying.  I never would have been able to predict the impact the coronavirus would have on our life half way around the world from China...but things are starting to be affected.  It reached the US and now, things are starting to shut down in hopes of controlling the curve of spread. 

So, things have been progressively getting worse here.  I was at the grocery store yesterday just for my weekly run to get milk and veggies.  Things felt a bit chaotic, and then I noticed that people were walking out with their carts stuffed full to brimming of all the things.  They had tons of packs of toilet paper, rice, and shelf stable things.  I admit that as I looked around at people rushing to snatch up things,  I got caught up in the panic and bought some Charmin toilet paper that I never would have bought before because it's so expensive.  But, it was really the only kind left.  I stopped at Lee's after Sam's Club because they had hamburger on sale that I wanted to get and there were so many people there.  I could not walk without bumping into people.  Every cart was gone and people were pushing and shoving.  I was honestly shocked.  By the time I left, I was glad I had bought that case of Charmin at Sam's club because the shelves everywhere were completely bare.  The meat, cheese, dry goods, dairy, everything was stripped bare.  It was like something out of a movie.
That night, we heard that church gatherings would be cancelled and postponed.  It seemed like every hour, new things were coming to light that would have to be cancelled.
Rudy Gobert, on the Utah Jazz, tested positive for Covid 19, so sports were shut down.  It just got so crazy minute by minute.
Today, we heard from Governor Herbert that school will be closed for two weeks.
The kids were excited.  Allie's scared.  We're all just a bit shocked.
It's Friday the 13th, and a full moon, so honestly, how could we have expected things to not be crazy?
 
I saw this meme today and it made me laugh.  


Who knows what things will be like in two weeks.  I tend to wonder what a difference those two weeks of being out of school will really make.  How will things be better in two weeks?  From what we're hearing, you can spread the virus without even knowing you have it and what good will two weeks be?  I don't think this is going anywhere any time soon.  I guess we'll see...

No comments: