Monday, September 1, 2008

We came home dirty, does that mean we had fun?

We went to Star Valley this weekend for an overnight trip. I used to love going to Star Valley. It was so relaxing. Time seemed to stand still. I got homework done (when I was in school) and when I was finished, I could read until I was sick of reading. Mike would play out in the mountains on his snowmobile, or on the motorcycle. We would go fishing, go up to Cottonwood Lake...all the fun things you can imagine. Then we had kids. Life changed. When they were small, I'd get a few pages into the book, then have to go find the source of the rustling I could hear in the next room, only to find Jake sharing the cat's food. The house became a place of nightmares when it comes to things a kid can get into...stacks of movies to fling around, a garbage to go through, phones, remotes, pictures, glass things, etc. For some reason, that house was hard to contain a kid in. The fact that time seemed to stand still was no longer a good thing. Mike always had a great time playing in the mountains, or fishing in the river by his house, but I always came home in need of a vacation. It seems like the tides are finally turning again. There are lots of cousins to play with now. That means that the house is a little more kid proofed, and there are toys to play with. Mike's Dad also finished the upstairs so there are two rooms and a bathroom now. We can put the kids down for a nap and walk away. I think it also helps that the kids are older now. Jake had a great time playing outside and not having boundaries. Allie is a little easier too.

This weekend we wanted to go camping. We didn't get much further than the front yard, but I love the cool nights in Star Valley, and I wasn't disappointed. The night got almost cold and I got to snuggle down in my sleeping bag and enjoy it. Mike chickened out and slept inside. After our last camping experience, he opted for sleeping. The kids did great though, and other than a few earwigs climbing on me in the night, I slept well too.

The next day we went fishing. Each of the kids got to reel in a fish.



Allie fell in the river and got covered in mud...that ended our adventure a little earlier than planned.

In the two days, she went through four outfits, and ended up just wearing her swimsuit while I washed clothes. It came in handy though because we went down to the river to play with all the cousins. There are getting to be a lot of us. These are Mike's brother's kids, and that is his Mom, Bonnie.





The day would not be complete if Allie didn't find something to put in her mouth that does not belong there. She found berries on this bush...who knows if they are poisonous, but she ate a few and is still alive, so I find hope in that.

In case you are wondering why I am taking a picture and not getting her out of the berries, this is after the lecture. I told her not to eat the berries (in a stern voice) and she promised (in a sweet voice) not to eat any more. But she couldn't resist picking them and throwing them in the river. So that is what she is doing in the picture. I'm sure she still snuck a few when I wasn't looking but what do you do about that?
The best thing about Star Valley for the kids is the fact that there aren't any rules. What's a car seat? Get in the back of the truck. You want to pee off the porch when there is a perfectly lovely bathroom in the house? Go ahead. You haven't had food, but you want more ice cream? Sure, we'll feed you when you get home. You don't want to nap more than a half hour? That's okay, here's a candy bar. You don't think there should be that many people on a motorcycle...hop on anyway. Who needs a helmet, we're in Star Valley! (note, I look worried...you can almost hear Mike saying "Na, we'll all fit...just have fun!")

It really was a fun weekend, but I sure was glad to come home and get clean.

2 comments:

Bonnie McBride said...

I had fun, too. I need the no rules stuff, once in awhile, too. I went home dirty, exhausted, and refreshed mentally.
Love the pictures,
G'ma Bonnie

Melissa said...

I'd say so. I love the picture of Allie eating berries off the bush. I'm glad she's still alive too! And I'm impressed that you did so well with earwigs and everything. Not sure I would have been so brave!