Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Free Candy Day at Lee's Marketplace!

The kids have said and done some silly things lately, so I wanted to write a few of them down.

When I got back from Italy, the kids were really clingy (I was clinging to them too). So, as I was looking at the pictures we had taken in Italy, the kids were on my lap. When I got to the picture of the David (taken at severe risk because there was a "no foto" rule), Allie looked at the picture and said "naked boy!" Yes, he is naked, and he is definitely a boy...edited for your viewing pleasure...





The other funny Allie story is one that you might have had to be there to appreciate fully, but I'll try to do it justice...We were outside playing yesterday. As Allie likes to do now, she identified some dog poo. "Look Mom! It's poo!" I was in conversation, so I acknowledged her, then got back to chatting. She wouldn't give up. She kept telling me and pointing it out. Finally I turned to her and said "yes, I see it. Just walk around it." Meaning, walk around it and stop telling me "it's poo". She looked at me for a minute, then said "okay" and started to skip in a circle "around" the poo. We all died laughing. She stopped and looked at us, wondering what was so funny. She was just doing what I had told her to do...literally.

The last story is my favorite. It's one that I wish I could have had a camera for. We went to Lee's. They have little kid carts there, and I made the mistake of trying them out once. Now, the kids love them and beg to go to Lee's to use them.
Downsides of the little kid carts...
  • I come home with sore heals (if I can't move out of the way fast enough, Allie runs me down).
  • Sometimes we get to the check out stand only to find an extra bag of cookies or chips of some sort.
  • Sometimes we end up buying more than we went for to solve the fights...if Allie gets a pile of bananas in her cart, Jake wants an equal portion of bananas in his cart too.
  • Poor unsuspecting elderly folks get run over in the race to the checkout stand.
  • Sometimes we get side tracked for long periods of time so Jake can hear the thunder and see the produce get "rained" on.

So, on this particular trip, I was going to the store for bread. Of course, we came out with more than that. While I was looking for the bread, I thought the kids were right behind me, but they weren't. I started to panic. How could they have gotten very far? It was a matter of seconds. I called for them, I looked up and down the aisles close to me...I started to worry. Then an older man caught my eye and, as he laughed, pointed to the bulk candy bins. I hurried over to find my kids chowing candy. Allie saw me and shoved more in than can be chewed without choking. Jake was stuffing his pockets. The looks on their faces were priceless. They knew they were wrong, but it was candy like they had never before seen! I think it had been under a minute that I had lost sight of them and they had already devoured enough to rot teeth. I was embarrassed, but I totally laughed too. Are they old enough to learn about repentance? Are they old enough to know that it wasn't just a free for all? I don't know. I was tired, so I just told them not to do things like that. Then we tried to pay the cashier. She just laughed and said not to worry about it. I insisted that we aren't just talking about a few gummy worms...they had their fill. She didn't know how to ring it up, so there were no consequences. It was free candy day at Lee's! Next time we'll have clothes with bigger pockets.

3 comments:

Tara Schwab said...

One of those moments that you just have to shrug your shoulders and laugh a little.
love the naked David. Italy sounds like it was fun.

lori parkhurst said...

Love the stories I can just see it.

Berly said...

I was laughing out loud picturing Jake and Allie stuffing their pockets and mouths. How funny. Your kids are hilarious! Next time you will definately have to wear clothes with bigger pockets..