Jake and Allie love tomato soup. I actually hold them back from eating it every day. When Jake was little he was a pretty picky eater, but he loved cinnamon roll oatmeal. He ate it every day with a banana. Guess what Jake won't touch anymore...yep, any kind of oatmeal is out of the question. Even in cookies!
When I discovered that they liked tomato soup, I decided that I wouldn't let them have it enough to get sick of it. All the case lot sales are going on and I bought 2 cases of tomato soup. Jake was with me, so he knows that we have "a plenty of tomato soup" (as he says.) He requests it almost every day. I think half the fun for him is cooking it. I let him empty the can in the pan. Then Allie and Jake both get to dump a half a can of milk in. There are two reasons for the half can thing. The first one is that there is always a mess when the can is that heavy and full. The other is obvious. There are two kids. They have to split the work. They do fight over who gets to stir first, and that always results in a mess, but before I can get a rag to wipe it up, they are licking it up like little puppies. Jake likes to see the milk blend in with the soup and make "strawberry milk".
We barely heat it up, then I don't hear another peep until the soup is gone. Seriously, I almost get bored on tomato soup day. They are so engrossed in breaking up crackers and taking gigantic bites that they don't even think to fight over spoon colors or sippy cups. They used to fight over the crackers, but I solved that by giving them each a sleeve. Between the two of them, they eat an entire can by themselves and finish off a sleeve of saltine crackers. It's incredible.
I know that it's a little odd to make a whole post about tomato soup, but for any of you with picky eaters, or kids that barely eat anything at all at lunch, it really is remarkable to find something that two kids like this much.
When I discovered that they liked tomato soup, I decided that I wouldn't let them have it enough to get sick of it. All the case lot sales are going on and I bought 2 cases of tomato soup. Jake was with me, so he knows that we have "a plenty of tomato soup" (as he says.) He requests it almost every day. I think half the fun for him is cooking it. I let him empty the can in the pan. Then Allie and Jake both get to dump a half a can of milk in. There are two reasons for the half can thing. The first one is that there is always a mess when the can is that heavy and full. The other is obvious. There are two kids. They have to split the work. They do fight over who gets to stir first, and that always results in a mess, but before I can get a rag to wipe it up, they are licking it up like little puppies. Jake likes to see the milk blend in with the soup and make "strawberry milk".
We barely heat it up, then I don't hear another peep until the soup is gone. Seriously, I almost get bored on tomato soup day. They are so engrossed in breaking up crackers and taking gigantic bites that they don't even think to fight over spoon colors or sippy cups. They used to fight over the crackers, but I solved that by giving them each a sleeve. Between the two of them, they eat an entire can by themselves and finish off a sleeve of saltine crackers. It's incredible.
I know that it's a little odd to make a whole post about tomato soup, but for any of you with picky eaters, or kids that barely eat anything at all at lunch, it really is remarkable to find something that two kids like this much.
3 comments:
My kids always eat better when they helped cook. Parker will eat his body weight in scrambled eggs if he can stand on the step stool and help Joe stir them.
My kids won't touch tomato soup with a ten foot pole! That is great you found something they will both eat!
Tomato soup sounded so good I read your blog and then fixed a bowl for myself for lunch! It was delicious. Missed having crackers in the house though. I love October too. My mums are starting to bloom and they are very beautiful.
Post a Comment