Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I am an Aggie Fan!

Last night our neighbors called and had extra tickets to the USU basketball game. Mike and I used to take our kids all the time when they were small (smaller I should say) and we loved it. We would pack them up in their jammies and cram ourselves into those small seats at the Spectrum. I have some really fun memories.
I have to say that Aggie basketball fans are the loudest fans I've ever been around. I used to pack Jake's ears with cotton and worry that he would lose his hearing anyway. Sometimes I'd look down and notice that Allie had been bawling for who knows how long and no one could hear her over the cheering (sorry Kid).
Anyway, I love the fans. When playing BYU, they would chant "WASTE OF TITHING" and we were okay with that, not being fans of BYU ourselves. (Sorry Mom and Steve)
When they played New Mexico State, someone found out that their coach Reggie Theus used to be a male model. They had gigantic posters of him in swim suits and chanted "STU IS HOTTER"
I can't even think about that game without laughing because Stu is not one of the most attractive men out there and he would blush shake his head every time they started that chant. Reggie Theus thought it was hilarious too.
The fans usually single out players and chant funny things every time they get the ball. They called a kid "Buckwheat" for a whole game (he did have some big hair). One poor guy shot an air ball last night and every time he even touched the ball again they chanted "AIR BALL".
I wish I could remember all the funny things they have said in the past...
Anyway, last night was my first game back in a long time. The kids got too big to share 2 seats with and we just haven't gotten many ticket offers at times we could go. So we jumped at the chance to go last night. We got a great babysitter, who had our kids in bed when we got back, and we had a great time.
Mike shakes his head at me because I didn't really watch any of the game, but I did do things that I deem important. I found a big guy that looks just like Hurley from Lost. He took his shirt off and shook his gut to deter a UofU free throw shot...wow.
I also discovered that the mysterious poo smell was coming from the guy behind me about midway through the game...that was a mystery that I kinda wanted solved in case anyone thought it was me.
I did have some quality conversation time with Heidi, and I did notice that all the cheerleaders and Aggie-ettes (or however you spell it) have new long and flowing hair do's...and there's more brunettes than blondies now (Mylie Cyrus wannabes?)
The fans are still really loud, and they still chant great things. At this game there were some bad calls (from what I hear) and when the last second shot came, the Aggies hit it and won the game. People were out of control with excitement...Heidi and I were looking around wondering what we had missed...then the booing started. I guess they didn't start the clock back up, so there was some dispute on whether or not the basket would be good. The UofU coach got all fired up and the fans started to chant "ANGER MANAGEMENT". I love it!
The Event Staff, fearing a charging crowd, started to unroll this rope and wrap it around the court. It might as well be fishing line if people wanted to get by...
When it was all said and done, they called the basket good and USU won by 2 points. A few of the fans charged right through the rope (Hurley was one of them) to congratulate the team. And the UofU coach, who was still angry, had to have a police escort out of the Stadium (to more chants of "ANGER MANAGEMENT").
Anyway, the point of this rant is just to say that I love Aggie basketball. Even though Mike has pretty much ruined me for televised sports, I like to go to games. (Even if I spend more time people watching and chatting than watching the game). I loved my years at Utah State, and I loved being one of those students cheering wildly at the games. I guess I'm just writing because I love that I got to stay here in Cache Valley, and that every once in a while I can go back to the Spectrum and listen to those crazy kids scream funny things at the other team. It was a fun night...
Another side note (remember, my brain works in random ways). Somehow, as we were slipping and sliding our way back to the car after the game, I remembered one of my favorite memories at Utah State. I'm going to write about it so you can get a kick out of it too.
I was sitting at the top of the Sunburst Lounge...yeah all you Aggies remember that lovely place to snooze. I was trying to study before a test. It was Spring, and someone had dumped detergent in the water fountain. The bubbles were huge and out of control. A gust of wind came and picked up this gigantic cube of bubbles. It started blowing like a tumbleweed down the path. This poor guy (ah, I'm laughing so hard because I can still see it in my head) anyway, he turned and saw this huge cube tumbling toward him so he started running. It was like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (I think that's the one where the ball was threatening to roll over him).
You have to picture it...the cube was man sized, and try as he might, he could not avoid it. It crashed into him and left him covered in suds. I was laughing so hard I thought I'd pee my pants. He looked around, hoping no one had seen it, and went on his way.
I know it's a random story to think of, but I remember it all the time. The poor guy...he'll never know how much I have laughed over that day.
So...it's a long and pointless post, but maybe some of you Aggies out there will remember your days of watching basketball and coming out in the cold air of Cache Valley and remember that it is a great place to go to school...and it's a great place to live!

4 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

fun story and I am glad you had a great time

Kristin said...

I'm happy you guys got to go out without the kids and have a good time! (The scene with the huge rolling boulder is from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I asked Ethan and thanks to all his hours logged in playing Lego Indiana Jones, he knew right off.)
Merry Christmas!

jeri said...

Where's your video camera when you need it. That could have been famous.

Tara Schwab said...

Oh the aggie games ARE really fun. Good for you guys!