Saturday, July 2, 2011

Conversation in the back yard

I was listening to the girls play in the back yard.  Sometimes they have the cutest conversations.
Today they were playing Mom and daughter...

Lily: Mom! My broken arm is bleeding!
Allie: Just keep it on, I’ll be right there
Lily: I’ll just wipe the blood off.
Allie: Yeah, be tough.
Lily: Pretend I fell off this swing and that’s how I broke my arm… Waa, I fell off the swing mom!
Allie: Oh, get back up!
Lily: But I broke my arm!
Allie: You’ll be okay. Just get up.

I had to laugh because Allie's responses were all the things I have said to her over the years.  I guess I'm not very sympathetic to the everyday broken bones :)
I still feel bad for the time I told her to be tough when she said she bonked her mouth on the bunk bed.  When the crying didn't stop, I suggested she get herself a band aid.  I was done with all the excuses of why she couldn't fall asleep.  When I finally went in to investigate, the pool of blood made me feel bad.  To be fair, mouth wounds always look worse than they really are right?
 
Anyway, I thought it was a cute conversation in the back yard.  When Allie came in for lunch she said,
"Sorry I’m late Mom!  I was going to make a butterfly trap.  I want to get all the flowers that they like and make a sign that says 'butterflies here, free place to live!'  Then when they come, I'll trap them!"
I had given her permission to pick any of the flowers in the back yard.  So she made a pile of mutilated flowers on the front porch and that's what she wanted to attract butterflies to.  That girl makes me smile.

Later...
I was feeding Nate and I heard a knocking on the door...
Allie:  Mom!  We caught a butterfly!
Lily:  Actually, it's a moth.
Allie: Yeah, it's a moth, but we caught it!
Lily: Yeah and it's alive!
Allie: But we broke a wing off...
Lily: But it's still alive!
Allie:  Can you find a jar for us to put it in?
Lily:  Yeah, we can share it in a jar.
Me:  I'm feeding Nate right now.
Allie:  Okay, we'll just wait.
Lily:  Yeah, we'll try to find something for it out here, but if we don't find something, can we use something from you?
Oh those kids...

By the time I was done feeding Nate, they had made a nice little comfy home for the moth in a tuna can.




They also spiffed up the butterfly trap on the front porch.


  Hey, if I were a butterfly, I would totally come and live with them.  As long as they don't yank my wing off :)

No comments: