Thursday, June 21, 2012

The 5th baby Schwab...

...has a 4 chamber heart!
 It was seriously the most beautiful heart I have ever seen in an ultrasound.  I didn't really know to care about it when they were looking at Jake and Allie's hearts, Sam's was obviously messed up, and Nate's had a spot on it that gave me a nervous fit.  This one was perfect and pumping away happily.  It is always amazing to me that they can see the aortic artery in a heart that is as small as the eraser on a pencil right now.  It looks like a little hockey stick.  Even more amazing is the fact that the tiny hockey stick shaped artery can make the difference in a heart that grows and develops properly, and one like Sam's heart.  And all that develops so early in the pregnancy that some people don't even know they are pregnant yet. 
As they checked each little thing on this baby, I was reminded of just how amazing the human body is.  How could I deny that God created us?  Everything works together so perfectly to make us who we are.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to carry and raise another of God's miracles.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about this ultrasound.  I think it was a good thing that the date of it changed and I didn't have time to worry about it.  But, I have learned a lot over the last few years.  Having Sam taught me about faith in action.  I let my fears get in the way when I was pregnant with Nate and it was a miserable time.  I have tried to approach things in life with more faith.   Because we went through what we went through with Sam, I know that with God, all things are possible.  It is possible to endure trials and face challenges.  It's not fun, and it isn't the ideal way to learn and grow, but it is possible.  So, I have tried to rely on faith and my heart isn't so heavy as it once was.  
I didn't mean for this to turn into a long and emotional post...just wanted to let you know the news.    
They don't really print off pictures at this office.  They gave me a DVD of the ultrasound, so I guess they thought that was enough.  Well, it isn't.  The one picture they printed off is of a squished profile...



 Ah well, I guess we can be patient and wait till November to see what the cute little Schwabby looks like.

For now, it's good enough to know that things are looking great in there.  I'm so grateful.

7 comments:

jeri said...

did they do gender in this ultrasound or is it too early? he/she looks like a perfect little darling!!

Sue said...

Jeri, we didn't find out the gender. Last kid...I wanted to wait.

Felt Family said...

Yes, a perfect, beautiful heart is worth celebrating! So happy for you and so glad that you are waiting to find out. It will be fun for all of you!

MaryAnn said...

This makes my heart happy. :)

parkhurstparty.blogspot.com said...

I love this pic of tiny schwabby! So glad heart looks good and healthy!

Stephanie Hancock said...

I'd been thinking about you--so glad that everything was well!!!

Tara Schwab said...

Yay! A healthy little person to join you guys. Looking forward to Nov to find out what that little one is.