Saturday, August 18, 2012

Conversation at bedtime

Me:  Allie, you made Jake pretty sad today.  You were pretty mean to him.  He didn't know that you'd get so mad when he touched your blanket. 
Allie:  I know.  I just got so mad!
Me:  I reminded him that you are just barely 6 and you are still learning to control your emotions.  I told him that he just had to be patient and that you'd work on it.  Can you work on it?
Allie: I could get one of those leashes that controls you.  It's not a leash, but it zaps you when you go outside the yard, like Sage's dog has.
Me: (thinking she was sidetracked from the conversation, as she often is).  Okay, so can you just work on it?
Allie:  It wouldn't be nice to have someone else control you.  When you do something wrong it just zaps you.  I could stay in the house without the leash, but if I had to have it, I would have to always have someone come with me when I play and control me.  I wouldn't have a leash, just a collar, and I would get zapped and controlled when I am about to be mean.
Me: What are you talking about?
Allie:  If I couldn't control myself, you could get me one of those things for dogs that just zaps them (acting out getting zapped), but then you'd always have to come with me to play and you wouldn't want to do that.
Me: ...uh...
Allie: It wouldn't be fun to have someone control you, and get zapped all the time.  Did you know there are people in other states that don't have stores, so they have to make everything at home?  Mostly just poor people.  Old people are sometimes poor.  The only people who aren't poor are the rich people and they just go to the stores instead of making their food at home.
Me: ...uh...just work on being nice to Jake okay?
Allie: Okay.  Did you know that...
Me: Goodnight!  Love you!

No comments: