Friday, August 3, 2012

More butterflies

Earlier in the summer, I took the girls up to look for butterflies.  They like to catch them, torture watch them for the day, and let them go. 



Nate likes to splash around in the water as the girls try to catch butterflies.


As we were inspecting the milkweed for Monarch caterpillars, we found one!  That made the desire for butterflies go away and the girls began searching for caterpillars. 
 We found two and took them home to watch them eat and grow.  I can't believe how much they eat...and grow! 
Jake and Allie each claimed one and named them Creepy Crawler,

 and Bob the Schwab.


Creepy Crawler was the first to build a chrysalis...and the first to come out.

I have to admit that I think I am more interested in these things than the kids.  I find myself peering into the net several times a day to see if there are any changes.  I am amazed by how much the caterpillars eat and poop.  I am amazed at how you can look in there one minute and see the caterpillar curled in a "j" position and then minutes later, it is wrapped in a chrysalis.  It's amazing I tell you!
These Monarch caterpillars, chrysalises, and butterflies are a million times more beautiful than the last ones we watched transform.
We watched Creepy Crawler for a few days and she didn't seem to be eating anything after she came out of her chrysalis, so I talked Allie into letting her go.

 She had an audience.  Jake wanted to get it on video and Nate wanted to be a part of the fun.

This picture is funny because it looks like the butterfly is on Jake's head.  It took off so fast I couldn't get anything else.
Bob the Schwab emerged from his chrysalis three days later.  Allie wants to hang onto him for a few more days so he can get to know her and come back for a visit now and then.  Lily suggested that we put a sticker on his wing so we can identify him in the future.  I persuaded them to just let him go, no strings attached.

 
We have been up the canyon almost daily looking for new caterpillars, but haven't had any luck.  We'll keep looking though.  Who would have thought buying this silly little butterfly habitat would set off such a fun hobby for all of us.

No comments: