Monday, January 14, 2013

Previously, I have shown pictures of Nate getting into the refrigerator.  It has become quite a problem.  It's a new fridge and one that he can open easily.  I haven't ever had a kid that can open the fridge (or even care to) until they are old enough to be responsible about it.  This fridge doesn't have handles that I can tie together, and the first lock that I bought wouldn't stick to its shiny front surface. 
I thought I was out of luck and resolved to train Nate into staying away.  That's nice in theory, but then when I sit down to feed the baby, Nate thinks it's time for a feast too.  He goes to the fridge and snoops around in there for something good.  I used to be able to keep things in the crisper and he couldn't get those drawers open.  But I have learned that putting an obstacle in Nate's course only makes him want it more.  He can get into every drawer now.  He's usually in search of carrots.  Sometimes he's lucky and there's a big pitcher of grape juice.  He grunts and stumbles over to me and asks for a "sip pease". 
It gets old.  When he broke 2 raw eggs on my bedroom carpet, I decided that I needed to browse the child proofing section at the store again.  I found one that was promising.  I followed the directions, and waited the suggested 24 hours to use the lock. 
I think Nate was out of bed for 15 minutes when he wandered over to the fridge and yanked it open (finding little resistance).  So much for that lock. 
Any suggestions?






2 comments:

Jill said...

my mom used to bungee cord the fridge closed to keep the kids out, it worked better than anything else ever did... have to wrap them all the way around, then she used a sock to make sure they didn't rub the fridge

MaryAnn said...

I don't have any awesome suggestions, but his pjs are sure cute!