The scene:
We were on the way to school after piano lessons so I had the 4 kids in the car. We were listening to our cd of primary songs and the song was The Family is of God. We all love that song and are just starting to learn it in Primary this month. We have learned the first verse and the chorus, but the other verses are new to us still. Then the lyrics "a mother's purpose is to care, prepare, to nurture and to strengthen all her children" came on and this is how the conversation went...
Allie: did she say "murder all her children"?
Me: (laughing almost to the point of tears)...no...it's not murder...it's "nurture".
Jake: No, they said "torture".
I laughed even harder. I thought of the future of my children and wondered if they would grow up thinking that I had tortured them enough. It is absolutely fitting right now after the fiasco of our first motorhome trip. Jason must think that I torture him with as much as he cries. I do love those kids of mine though and I love the words to this song. The primary kids sang it in the program just after Sam was born and I remember sitting in the congregation watching my Allie and Jake up there singing their hearts out and letting the tears roll down my cheeks. The chorus line that says "this is how He shares His love, for the family is of God" still brings tears to my eyes. I have said before that having Sam in my life opened my eyes to the love of God. I know that I have felt that love and it is so strong and pure. I love my family and I know that I am going to be with them for eternity. I am so grateful for that. I am grateful to be a mother. I know that these kids will have days when they think it is my job to "torture" them, but my love will never fail them. I will never murder them :). Happy Mother's Day to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment