My family had a motorhome when I was a kid. We went on all sorts of adventures in that rig. We went to Nauvoo, Mount Rushmore, Disneyland, and about a hundred other places.
I guess my dad was always a motorhome guy.
Here he is in 1970 with his twin brother Richard. Dad is in the darker pants. They built this motorhome from the frame up (who does that?).
Here we are in 1986 with the Tioga. I don't know why I'm not in the picture, but I'm sure I'm somewhere.
Here's my dad...king of the road. I love this picture. I remember that watch and even that shirt. Who could forget the Country Superstars songs blaring.
Here's Warren rocking the flat top of the late 80's.
Oh...everyone loved Steve. What a cute boy!
Then, here's Jenny, me, and Lori on the top bunk as we cruised down the road. No seat belts for anyone. :)
I have some great memories of sitting on the cooler in the middle of the seats at the front and sharing sips of Dad's pop and eating up the jerky. I remember roasting on the top bunk as I watched the stripes of the road go by. I remember loving all the adventures. We were so lucky.
Well, a few years ago, I started to really bug Mike about getting a motorhome. We went on a trip and talked to a couple who had just bought their motorhome off KSL for 10 thousand and it looked like a really nice rig. Mike didn't shoot the idea right down, so I started working on that crack that he left in the door. I looked at motorhomes on KSL and started sending him out looking at them as he traveled for work. We went to Yellowstone last year in that one that we rented and I thought we had a good time, so I kept pushing. Pretty soon, the door started to open wider and Mike started act like he might give in and let us get one. (He was still very hesitant). I pushed harder, cried a lot, and then found the one that we couldn't pass up. Next thing I know, we are the proud owners of the Leprechaun.
The kids have had several sleepovers.
And even a rainy day spent making loom bracelets.
They love it.
It is in pretty good shape, so we washed it inside and out, and took off the dozens of dog stickers ("If you aren't the lead dog, the view is always the same" "to err is human, to forgive is canine" and more).
We got it looking good and are all excited about our upcoming adventures. I had fun thinking of what I'll put in there and using up all my extra things. It's just going to be fun. The brand of motorhome is the Coachmen Leprechaun, and Mike likes to say that he caught a leprechaun and instead of getting a pot of gold he gave us this piece of crap, but I think we are so lucky! It's going to be an adventure for sure. I think my dad would love our Leprechaun. My mom thinks it's pretty cool. Like I said, we are lucky little Schwabby's.



.jpg)


1 comment:
We had a camper. Similar memories. Stupid seat belts save lives campaign!
Post a Comment