Allie and Jake were buckled in at the table making Lego's.
Nate and Jason were at the couch.
The ride there was uneventful. It wasn't the worst we've ever had, but since the kids were buckled in, it wasn't the best ride ever either.
We got to Star Valley and had time to do some motorcycle and tractor roaring.
The kids had fun with their cousins and the motorhome was a total hit.
Grandpa built a sweet new swing set. It has 5 swings and the kids all love it.
Allie was out looking for treasure and found this one. There's all sorts of rusted out metal if you go looking for it.
Jason was content with the swings for a few minutes, but mostly he went over to anything with a motor and climbed aboard. He is relentless.
All was well until bed time. I was having fun cooking the family dinner with my fun little stove and all my supplies. Everyone ate and was happy...then the crap hit the fan. Jason and Nate didn't want to go to sleep. Jason is used to falling asleep all by himself in a crib. He didn't know what to do with the wide open spaces of the motorhome. He finally fell asleep at about 10. I wasn't at all tired, but all the rest of the family was asleep and I was afraid that Jason would be up a few times in the night, so I fell asleep about 11. I awoke at midnight to the screaming banshee. When Jason gets into that screaming fit, there isn't anything I can do to snap him out of it. I tried every trick I knew. I was worried that he was going to wake up the other kids and then we'd really have a mess on our hands. I really didn't know what to do. Luckily grandma B. had left the keys in her car, so I took him out on a tour of Star Valley. He'd fall asleep for a minute, only to wake up and scream. That crazy beast took hours to calm down. The whole time, I was so sad. Not for Jason. I knew he would be okay. I was sad for my dreams of the fun of the motorhome. All my hopes of fun summer camping were dashed. I can't bring that kid to a quiet campground when we won't even have Barbara's car to escape in. I just don't know what to do with that kid. He did finally fall asleep, but he was up before dawn.
It made us all pretty grumpy the next day.
Our drive home wasn't bad at all. I took a turn driving just to see if I could handle it and it was just fine. The kids were so good that it made me feel a little better about the whole trip. I'm still sad though. I thought I'd be going up the canyon with the kids to spend days at a time. Mike could stop by when he is done with work, but it would be mainly me. Those were my dreams and now I know that they would be nightmares in reality. Jason needs more than just me. I know he'll grow out of this, but right now...living in the middle of it all is hard. I don't know why I wasn't prepared for this to happen. He rarely sleeps through the night at home. It shouldn't have been a surprise. Darn boy.
I keep reminding myself that the maiden voyage on our boat was a total disaster, but we've had lots of fun in the years after that. This first time was a bit stressful learning about the water systems and having a leaking tank, and sad Jason. But, I hope we'll get it figured out and it will be fun. We've just got to get back on the horse.
1 comment:
Looks like fun! Sorry about Jason though! Surprised to see buckles in the Motörhome now. We didn't have any growing up! It was a free for all!
Post a Comment