Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Date Night

We still do our dates with the kids.  Sometimes we have a hard time thinking of something to do, but we always do something.  There has been a lot of flooding in the valley this year and I've wanted to drive down west of Smithfield and see if we could see some of the flooding.  So, Jake and I went there on our date.

 We got to see a beautiful sunset.



Mike was trying to detour that way a few weeks ago and thought he could ignore the signs and go through the water anyway.  As soon as the water was as high as the cab, he decided not to become one of the dorks you see on the news who think their truck is tougher than flooding water, and he turned around.  The water isn't over the road anymore (at least it wasn't when we were there), but the signs are there waiting for the next time.


Jake and I had a good chat as we drove and got to see our beautiful valley as the sun slowly sunk behind the Wellsvilles.  


We have been lucky to avoid flooding at our house, but so many people that I know have been affected this year. Nearly all of my book club friends have become friends with sump pumps.  It's been a crazy year. We're thankful for the snow and water, but it's hard to see so many people having trouble because of it.
The river near our house has been running for months now.  I've been warning the boys to stay away. We'll have a bit of a stressful time of it this Spring.
Anyway, it was a nice date with Jake.  It ended with a Slurpee.  With a two dollar limit for the date, most of the kids think that's the thing to do.
I love my Jake boy and I love having the chance to hang out with him.  He's a fun date!

No comments: