Saturday, September 13, 2008

The power of advertising

Today as I was putting Jake down for a nap, I noticed that his leg had some mud on it. (After the weeks of playing in the river bed across the street, just having it on one leg is surprising).
Anyway, I grabbed a baby wipe and started to clean it off. He said "Mom, did you know that Clorox disinfecting wipes are stronger?" I burst out laughing because that is such a random thing for him to say. I never discuss the cleaning power of Clorox wipes with him, so it must be the t.v. that has taught him.
Jake loves The Backyardigains. My only complaint with the show is that, unlike the Disney Channel, they show regular commercials in between episodes. We record the shows on the DVR and there is always an overlapping few minutes where the commercials are on.
I have tried to be very careful to turn it off before the commercials come on because of the Clorox commercial that made Jake fear the toilet seat. I wrote about it before, but for those of you who forgot, the add states that "millions of bugs live under your toilet seat" (insert scary picture of millions of bugs waiting for you to sit down on the seat. They have huge fangs, and scary hands...who wouldn't be afraid to touch the toilet seat after seeing that?).
Anyway, the target audience of toddlers appears to be working, because mine is a walking advertisement. "Mom, can we get Clorox toilet bowl cleaner to kill the bugs in our toilet?" And apparently we need to buy more Clorox disinfecting wipes, as they are stronger than ordinary wipes...

3 comments:

jeri said...

My mom once told me that when I was about 3-6 years old, shopping with me was a nightmare. Apparently I knew hundreds of jingles, tag-lines and quality statements and would just ride in the cart blurting them out. She always made this sound like A Bad Thing. So it's nice to know that if Jake and I were the same age, I would be in good company.

lori parkhurst said...

He definitely is a walking advertisement! I love you Jakey!

Grandma and Bonka said...

Jake can be scared of toilet seats and I'm afraid of drinking fountains and handrails. Maybe I should pack some wipes around with me.