Today as I was putting Jake in for a nap, he tried to argue the necessity of a nap. He wanted to just have "quiet time", which is fine if "quiet" was any part of the equation. Usually quiet time consists of him begging me to read him a book, fix a toy, change the c.d. in the music player, turn on a show, etc. There is no break for either of us, and by the time bed time rolls around he is usually really tired, and I am tired of him (did I just say that?) So, I try not to allow quiet time all that often.
Anyway, I was telling him of the things we would be doing today after his nap. I told him that we would be giving Aubrey and his other friends their gifts. His eyes started to water and he shook his head "no" before I could even tell him the rest of the list of fun activities we have planned. I asked him what was wrong and he said "I don't want to give Aubrey our gifts. She has plenty of her own. I don't want to give her our gifts." I guess I phrased it in a way that he thought we would be emptying our load of gifts under our tree and distributing them among his friends. Now I know that I have also failed in relating the whole "Spirit of Christmas" thing to my kids...
I reassured him that we weren't giving away his gifts, but the ones that we had picked out and made for our friends. I guess he's okay now that he knows his gifts are safe. I tried to convey that it is more fun to give other people gifts than to get them, but I think my words were falling on deaf ears. Right now all he can think about is the "aero pointer chopter" that Santa is bringing him...yeah, good luck figuring out what that means Santa...
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
pretty cute story. That would have broke my heart to see the tears well up in his eyes!
They're so literal - it's hard to see things from their point of view.
We don't have a single gift under the tree. There's no way they'd survive Parker.
Easton:ha ha verry funny jake thought that his frend was going to get his presents I am already laughing!
Post a Comment