Friday, June 18, 2010

The Lie

I saw Allie sneaking into the bathroom with the squirt bottle. The last time she was given free reign of the squirt bottle, she emptied it on her princess doll's head (you've seen it before...the one with a tangled rat's nest of hair and crayon "makeup" on her face). Anyway, I didn't want to repeat the mess, so I told her that she couldn't fill the bottle up. Like always, I got distracted and forgot to follow up on the request (by taking the squirt bottle out of her hands and putting it on a shelf higher than the one it was previously on).

A few very quiet minutes later, she came in with a half empty bottle and the following conversation took place...

Allie: "Mom, I filled this up so you can use it on my hair!"
Me: "It's already half way gone. Did you use it on your princess's hair?"
Allie: "no" (looking a little guilty)
Me: "Are you sure you didn't spray it on her hair? It looks like you might have used up half of it on something"
Allie: "I didn't use it on my princess. I filled it up for my hair."
Me: "So, if I go into your room and look at your princess head, is the hair going to be wet?"
Allie: (looking somewhat fearful) "Well, I accidentally put some of it on her hair."

What followed that is another conversation about telling lies and so on...

No comments: