Me: "Hurry up and finish eating so you can go out and play."
Allie: "Are you coming out with us?"
Me: "After I get done with the treadmill"
Jake: "Why are you always trying to lose some pounds by walking on the treadmill?"
Me: (in my head: What! how in the world does a boy his age even know anything about the concept of "losing pounds"?) Out loud: "Where did you hear about that?"
Jake: "You know Cole? Not the coal that gets hot and you burn it, but the friend Cole? He said that if you walk on the treadmill you lose pounds."
Me: Nice...
I told him "I walk on the treadmill to make my heart healthy..." Then went on to explain all the things they do to make their hearts healthy and so on.
Half of me thought it was a funny conversation. The other half was sad that suddenly things are starting to change to where my kids are going to learn things from their friends that I don't necessarily want them to learn. Jake is going to start kindergarten in a little over a month. Our world is about to change a lot. He's going to be around people that I don't even know and is going to hear things that I can't filter. I know it has to happen eventually, but it's just more of a reality than it used to be.
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i know what you mean about letting them out of the comfort of your own home to learn things that we can't filter.
Sue, a boy in first grade told my daughter where babies come from so I know what you mean about filtering!
Post a Comment