Wednesday, December 15, 2010

More Names

Allie and I were driving around in the car the other day and we came to talk about names for the baby. She was suggesting her favorite again (Sherman) and I was turning it down...again.
She reminded me that Jake really likes the name Tanner and then suggested that we name another baby Jake since she likes that name so much and obviously I do too.
Then she was quiet for a minute and said "Why do you think Dr. Strebel's mom and dad named him Dr. Strebel. That's a weird name."
This turned into a 20 minute discussion on what is a first name, a last name, and what is a title. These things are surprisingly hard for a 4 year old mind to master and she was left with many questions. She was worried that Jake was a Schwab and she wasn't. For some reason, she can pronounce "Schwab" when it accompanies Jake's name. But when she tries to say her full name, it comes out as "Schwart". So she thinks she has a different last name.
Then it was a whole new can of worms when she asked me why my name used to be Johnson and now it's Schwab.
Anyway, I was grateful when we reached our destination because sometimes I just get tired of explaining stuff.

Later, we were driving to dance and we had Allie's friend Lily in the car. She has a great grandma that they call Grandma Chicken. They also call one of her grandpas "Bugs". The conversation between the two girls was hillarious...
Allie: "Why do they call him Bugs? Does he like bugs a lot?"
Lily: (laughing) "No, we just call him Bugs"
Allie: "We once had a frog that we called Bugs (not true...we had a Bob the frog) but he died and went to frog heaven"
Lily: (laughing) "Now the frog eats bugs in heaven? Maybe there are bugs in frog heaven"

The conversation about Grandma Chicken was similar. The laughing was the part I loved. I love to hear kids laughing over silly things that don't involve annoying sounds or potty talk.

5 comments:

maynardmoments said...

Too cute! I also love innocent, clean kid humor.

Berly said...

So funny - I love the name Tanner. One of my favorite names - I always put it on the table, but have never gotten to use it.

jeri said...

Our baby boy is about 4 weeks out and we still haven't settled on a name. Joe is holding out for Wilson or Burton. I want to name him Dexter. There's no middle ground here.

lori parkhurst said...

I named Shauna's boy Tanner since she didn't have a name picked out and I loved that one for one of my own children.
I love Allie's little questions she asks you. i also love the innocence of that age.

Tara Schwab said...

I love those giggles too. Most of the time around our house a word like "fart" triggers them.
I also like Tanner. Hope we can find out soon what you are deciding. Don't want to wait until March :)