Jake was crying. He said it had been a bad day. I suspected it was just a meltdown from not wanting to eat the dinner that was in front of him. I was "consoling" him in a bit of a sarcastic way. Sarcastic isn't really the word. I was saying nice things in an extra sing song voice so that I didn't lose my temper and send him to his room for the rest of the night.
After a few minutes, Allie said:
"You know Jake, mom only really cares if you are crying because you are really hurt. You know...she will come and feel bad for you if you're hurt. That's when she cares. She won't care about this."
She hit the nail on the head. I thought it was so funny that at such a young age, she knows that. She knows that I am quick to help any child that is hurt. I am quick to hug and care and feel awful to know that my babe is hurt. On the other hand, I don't have much sympathy for fake crying or times when they cry for things I deem unnecessary. Call me heartless, but I think that strategy has helped us all avoid a lot of drama. It just made me laugh that Allie knows :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment