The kids have been pretty bored on Saturdays lately (their friends ski), so I decided to take them to build a project. It was a monster truck, so I knew Jake and Nate would be thrilled.
It was a bit of a nightmare.
Nate thought the store looked fun and was constantly on the run. His little hammer kept him happy for about 2 minutes, but then he heard a screaming table saw and had to investigate. I never knew Lowe's could be so dangerous! Leave it to Nate to show me all the hidden dangers. (like big carts that can knock over piles of lumber.)
Jason wasn't a fan of all the hammering and his sadness reminded him that he was hungry and he just couldn't get the thought of being at home eating out of his mind.
Jake was in the zone and getting things done without my help, so he was totally sad that I was yanking him away from his project to go home.
There were two sad boys in the car on the way home. One that was sad because he was hungry, and the other was sad because the hammers at home are "just too big to work on a project like this". Nate was oblivious to the upheaval he caused and was just excited to see all the falling "snowman" outside. That same "snowman" was making the roads incredibly slick and I had a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel.
Allie was home because she wasn't feeling well. If she had been in the car, I'm sure the questions of why we had to go would have been endless.
Safe at home, we continued building the truck with our big hammer, and it seemed to work just fine for the project :).
Jason was fed and happy and life was back to normal.
In the end, the kids were completely happy with their monster trucks.
| They are laughing because Jake just went "toot toot!" as Nate would say. |
After an hour or so of play, Nate couldn't find his monster truck. He was trying to take Allie's and that was causing problems, so we went on a hunt to find the missing truck. I did have one clue...he was drinking from a sippy cup that I didn't give to him.
He traded a truck for a drink.
1 comment:
So, how do you help big kids understand that you can't do some things because of certain little kids? (i.e. we have to leave Lowe's because it's not safe for Nate, or no we can't go rollerskating because that will be a disaster with Kassie...) I'm glad you finished your project at home anyway!
Post a Comment