Sunday, February 10, 2013

Piano

Jake had a piano recital in December.  He played "We Three Kings" perfectly and we were so proud of him.    I love Jake's piano teacher.  She is just down the street and his lessons are before school.  He doesn't mind practicing except when it looks more fun to be doing what Allie and Nate are doing.
I thought the recital would be painful as we listened to several kids plunking away at the notes.  It wasn't bad though.  They played duets with their teachers or older students and it was fun to hear Jake's little melody plunked out as his teacher embellished it.
He loves learning a song and then memorizing it only to play it whenever he walks by a piano.  Some of the repeat favorites are a Halloween song, Ode to Joy, We Three Kings, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, and now It's a Small World.  It's great that he can do all those songs, but I have told him time and time again that I am not a fan of Christmas music once Christmas is over :).


Sometimes it's hard for both of us to practice day in and day out.  It always seems to get chaotic when I sit down with him, but I am working on making it a time for me to just sit with him.  He's fidgety and it gets annoying to hear "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" every time my attention is diverted.  It will be worth it in the end though.  I love piano music.  When we got our piano, I imagined all the beautiful songs being played by my kids as they grew up.  It doesn't happen over night though, so I'm proud of Jake for taking it one step at a time and doing great!

No comments: