Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ouch

I got my first canning injury.  I've had many years of an aching back, and lots of little cuts here and there, but things have gone pretty well other than that.  This year, I dropped some boiling water on my foot.  It was pretty awful.  I had a sock on and thought I was going to peel the flesh off my foot when I got my sock off.  Then, I got it off, only to find that my foot looked absolutely fine.  Nothing to show for the pain.  I know I am being dramatic, but I would have 5 babies again and still say that my burning foot was worse.  I was feeling so bad for people who have burns all over their bodies, yet I still couldn't get over the pain of my little burn.  So, here's the sad/funny part of the story.  When I dropped the water, I started yelling "Mike! Mike! Mike"  He was snoozing down on the couch and thought that armed robbers were attacking or something by the sound of my yelling.  So he got up and ran up the stairs.  Only problem was that he wasn't quite awake yet and he fell and bashed his face into the wall.  Then he got up and ran again, only to fall down some stairs and hurt his knee.  By the time he got up, I had the sock off and was staring at my foot that looked completely normal.  He had a messed up knee and a face that was already bruising and wondered what in the world would have made me yell so loud.  Needless to say, he had no sympathy for me.  He went off to bed and I limped the rest of the night and well into the morning because I still had grapes that needed to be bottled.  Every once in a while, I'd inspect my foot and curse the fact that I was still in so much pain, but had nothing to show for it.  The next day, I woke up to this blister.  

It grew throughout the day and at least I had something to show for the pain, but I still thought the blister should have covered the whole foot and not just one measly toe.  After it grew so much that it was wobbling when I walked, I showed it to Mike.  He was still limping from his hurt knee, so I still didn't get any sympathy.  It popped after a few days and then Jason accidentally rubbed off the top of the skin to leave it looking super sore.  Mike felt bad for me then, but really, it didn't hurt anymore.  Just that first night.
So, that's my story.  Mike is still limping and thinks he actually did some damage to the knee, so naturally, I feel terrible.  I didn't mean for him to have to maim himself to get to my rescue, but I guess it is nice to know that he will come to my aid.  I just better have some gore to show for it next time.


On the plus side, here is the grape juice that will make the kids happy for the year.

No comments: