Saturday, October 4, 2014

Spooky Town

Jason has been a great sleeper since he got his tonsils out.  He has woken in the night a handful of times, but hasn't ever had his scream fests that wake the house and drive me to insanity (knock on wood).  When he does wake up though, he's ready for a party.  He thinks we should all be cheerful at 2 a.m. and only gets sad when I suggest he gets back in his bed.
As the previous post mentioned, he is now a "climb out of the crib" kind of guy and that makes our all night hang out parties even more fun.  I used to just put him in his crib and turn my fan on louder and eventually he'd fall back to sleep.  Now, he gets up and has a party in his room.  The books are spread far and wide, diapers are flung everywhere and all the clothes come out of the drawers.
I tell all of this to let you in on the details of a funny story that happened last night.  Jason woke up at about 1 and I tried to snuggle him in my bed.  Hour after hour, he was still just wanting to play, so I gave up and put him in his room to scream.  I finally fell into a deep sleep when I woke up to a scared and urgent sounding "Mom!" from Nate.  His face was inches from mine and it scared me awake instantly.  It was almost 4 a.m.  I asked him what was going on and he said, "Mom.  The Halloween sign...is moving."  It took several attempts for me to understand what he was saying, so he finally just grabbed me by the hand and told me to follow him.  I went out of my room to find every light in the house on.  Nate timidly tip-toed into the front room and pointed out the "Spooky Town" Halloween sign.  Sure enough, there was a rhythmic rattle at the door and the sign was shaking.  If you are a Harry Potter fan (like me) you'll get the reference to a Boggart.  It was like there was a Boggart behind the door and it was scaring the tar out of Nate.  I think I'd have been afraid too, but I knew it was Jason...awake and out of his crib.  We opened the door to find him laying on his back kicking the door every 30 seconds...just to let us all know that he was still awake.  It's been one of my favorite stories of the week, so I thought I'd share it with you.


No comments: