Friday, January 23, 2015

Missing...

These are the before pictures.  This is Jason's cuteness.  He found this sled in the Christmas decorations and found something to ride on the sled.  Then he took it outside.  I followed him with the camera and thought it was the cutest thing ever.  Then, I watched him play on the deck for a little while.  I put my camera battery on the charger, watched him play for a little while, and then went to get the camera again to take some more pictures...


When I went back out, there was no Jason.  I asked Nate if he could see him and he said he couldn't.  I went back in the house to get some shoes and a jacket on and then I started to look in all the usual places.  I looked on the wheeler, in the sand box, around the side of the house, in the garage.  Then I called out to him and checked the Baltzer's house.  I checked inside our house again and then I started to worry.  How could he be so far gone in a matter of seconds?  I got Mike involved in the hunt.  He went to the other neighbor's backyard and we were both calling out for him.  I knocked on doors and asked if he had come by.  In my mind, he had gone out front and was taken by someone driving by, because I couldn't imagine where he could have gone so fast.  I knew he was only in footy jammies and it was cold out.  By now, it had been 10 minutes since I had last seen him and we had neighbors looking with us.  I was getting pretty freaked out because I couldn't imagine how he could have gotten further than the places we checked without being taken.  I was just about to call the police when he came sauntering up from across the street and down by the river.  I didn't know if I should beat him or hug him and never let go.  I ended up doing a little of both...I hugged him while I swatted his bum...it probably didn't teach him anything.
We sent everyone back into their houses and then calm was restored to my heart.  That dang kid!
I know I don't want to wish away any stages of life, but man, things get easier when kids can understand boundaries and danger...and telling me where they are going.  I'm just grateful it wasn't summer and the river wasn't running.  He must have been hiding from me when I first called out to him in the back yard.  Then when I went in to get shoes and a coat, he must have crossed the street because then I continued the search in the back yard before I even went to the front.  I was just so sure that he wouldn't be gone to any place new that I didn't even think to look across the street by the river.  That dang kid...
Anyway, that's the story of the runaway Jason and the little toy sled.  He no longer has back yard roaming privileges of any kind.  I hope he is better by spring.

1 comment: