Sunday, June 25, 2017

Poppies






When Mike and I were only married a year, and didn't have any of our crazy kids yet, we moved into this house.  It was a repo and our intention was to fix it up and sell it in order to buy a lot and build somewhere else.  My dad had looked around the place and told us we couldn't build this house for the price it was going for, so we took the plunge and bought it.  We fell in love with the area and then, as the kids came, it became a perfect place for them to grow up.  We obviously stayed.
The point of this story though, is to tell you about poppies.  This house didn't have a yard.  We did the sprinkling system and put grass in the first spring that we lived here.  I always dreamed of having hundreds of flowers in my yard and I spread tons of seeds on the hillside in hopes of having them all bloom and be a beautiful thing to look out at as I did dishes.
Mike and I were on a drive in the old car one day.  I remember that I had a dress on, so it must have been a Sunday drive.  We were out in Cove and we came across a field of poppies.  There were hundreds of big beautiful blooms and I made him stop so I could take pictures.  The house I grew up in had poppies on the corner in the back yard and I always loved them.  I took a seed pod from the place in Cove and I planted them in our back yard.
I have had a few wild flowers on the hill, but they haven't lasted through the years.  I'll have to plant them again.  The dream of hundreds of flowers and a thriving garden just hasn't come to fruition...I guess I've been growing kids instead.
As for the poppies...they have lasted and they keep growing bigger and bigger.  They are amazing to look at and bring me so much happiness.  Like tulips, they don't last very long, but they sure are beautiful.


1 comment:

parkhurstparty.blogspot.com said...

Where's a pic of the poppies? I love them too!!!!