Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Grandma Barb

We were in Orem for Thanksgiving when Joe called to tell us that Barb was in the hospital.  She had an infection and wasn't expected to make it through the night.  We were shocked.  I couldn't believe the irony of it.  We've been waiting for Joe to die.  He's been near death so many times we can't even count, and yet he outlived Barbara.

Her funeral was this week, so we pulled the kids from school and went to Star Valley.  We got a good deal on the hotel room because Ellie (Barb's daughter) works there.  So we got two rooms.  Jake's got a terrible hacking cough and Mike wanted to be able to sleep.  We were living in the lap of luxury with two rooms instead of cramming us all in one like we usually do.  



The boys had a great time swimming in the pool.  They had race after race.

The funeral was nice.

I keep thinking of the last time I saw Barb.  Mike and I drove up for the day to visit.  She had a mastectomy that had complications and she was playing the waiting game hoping to feel better soon.  We brought them soup and Mike visited with Joe out in the field, while I chatted with Barb in the house.  It was one of the best conversations I'd had with her ever.  She talked about how helpful Joe was through this whole ordeal and talked about how much she loved him and felt loved by him.  It was a sweet day and I'm so glad we took the time to go up there.
Things won't be the same going to Star Valley.  We kept telling the kids we were so happy for the reunion she was having in heaven.  She has experienced a lot of loss in her life, but now she's being reunited and I'm sure it's amazing.
Goodbye for now Grandma Barb!

No comments: