As I said, President Monson died on January 2. I just wanted to write a few words about President Monson. President Gordon B. Hinkley was the prophet that I related to the most. He was around for my most formative years. The years that I gained a testimony were the years that he was the leader of the church. I remember thinking he was so fun and spry and I loved to read of his interactions with people not of our faith. (The time he was interviewed on 60 minutes was incredible). So, I remember being truly sad when he died.
I felt sad that I didn't feel the same feelings for President Monson. However, the day of the solemn assembly when we stood and sustained him for the first time, the Holy Ghost confirmed to me that he was a prophet of God and my heart opened up for him and the true principles he taught. I remember standing with a baby in my arms (must have been Allie) and raising my hand with a sustaining vote and meaning it.
I loved and looked forward to hearing his talks in General Conference and was sad to see him get older and weaker. I am happy to think of him being reunited with his loved ones and happy in the arms of our Savior and Heavenly Parents.
The kids and I read up a little on Elder Nelson. I was surprised to find out that he is actually older than President Monson. It will be interesting to see how long he is healthy and able to do the things it takes to run this worldwide church. I am so glad to know that there is never an interruption of Priesthood keys, or a time when the church flounders after a death. It runs smoothly, and I believe it to be true. I am thankful for my testimony and I look forward to what a new first presidency will bring to the table. I pray for them and sustain them, whoever they might be.
Thank you for your many years of service President Monson. I am grateful for you and am glad for your peace at last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Beautiful tribute. I love his as well
Post a Comment