Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Old Ephraim's Grave

Our summer bucket list has all sorts of adventures on it.  One of them is to ride to Old Ephraim's grave.  I've wanted to do that ever since I moved to Cache Valley.  I don't know why it's been such a draw, but it has.  So, when we found ourselves looking at a completely free Saturday just after school got out, we decided to load up the wheeler and motorcycles and go for a ride.  It was a beautiful day.  

I made the foolish decision to leave my camera at home.  I regretted it many times because there were so many amazing views to take pictures of.  It was so awesome to see the snowy mountain peaks of Tony Grove off in the distance.  The greens were incredibly green and the sky was a cloudless blue.  The wild flowers were everywhere.  It was just amazing.  
Mike brought his camera, but we still only have two pictures from our ride.


We hauled a little wheeler all the way up there only to find it had a dead battery.  So,  Jake, Allie, and Nate took turns riding the little motorcycle, or on the big wheeler with me.  We rode up to the grave marker and had a little snack.
Old Ephraim was huge.  The grave marker is as tall as he was and it's huge.  I guess he was 10 feet tall and 1,100 pounds at his death.


On the way home, Allie got on the little motorcycle and took off.  Not long after she got on, I came around the corner to find her laying in the trail with the motorcycle on top of her.  It was a pretty scary sight.  Mike came running up the hill to help and Jake hopped off the wheeler to pull the motorcycle off her.  The kids all heard me say a few swears...I was afraid that it was burning her leg, but she was lucky and made out with some scrapes and bruises, but no burns or broken bones.

We are bad parents for not making her wear pants...


It got really swollen and was really sore.  I felt bad every time I saw her limping around.  We were worried about how she'd be able to move around for the dance revue.

Each day, she got a little better though, and by the end of the week, she was able to move around pretty well for the dance revue.

So, it was a great day.  We were sad that Allie got hurt, but so grateful that it wasn't worse.  I was glad she had a helmet on and glad that she wasn't burned.  She was mad at herself for pulling the front brake and for not having pants.  We have all learned lessons.
We can check an adventure off our summer bucket list plans!  Old Ephraim's grave on a beautiful day, check!

No comments: